Point 2 on this post advises you to be a connector. The author says he hosts intimate events where he invites passionate, hyper-curious individuals and they meet often for a day of action and adventure. Here’s a screen grab from the post.
This got me thinking, why not do the same in Mumbai, a place where I am located?
And while I did get some people interested in the meetup, everyone asked for details.
And thus, here are some.
What I propose.
- Create a meetup group of "curious" people that love to learn "new things" and want to know more people.
- We try to get people from across age groups, genders, interest areas and all that. The intent is to get a variety of opinion and thought.
- We meet once a month or so (I don't know if I want to structure it rigidly).
- At each meetup, we have an agenda. Say in the first meetup, all of us goto a Salsa workshop (I suck at dance - I have two left feet), followed by a brunch at some indie chef. And then end the day with a theatre or something. In the next meetup, we could go for a trek or play football or get together for clubbing. Of course, this is not defined. The itinerary gets decided by the attendees prior to the meetup.
- Each activity that we do must be a group activity that is novel for most participants. For example, theatre is novel for me. And I am sure I am not alone.
- If you "sign up", while you are not obligated to attend every meetup, you ought to respect time and attention for others. Once you say you are in on a certain date, please do show up :)
- No fees. We split the cost of the "adventure" among attendees.
- I plan to do the first meetup in the next 15 days. Probably on the weekend of 20th - 21st April.
These are the things that I know as of now.
Of course, early days.
If you are interested in this, let's build this together?
And truth be told, I don't know where this would go or if I would get enough people to run this experiment. And in case I do get the people, I don't know if I would be successful at running this. But then, what's the worst that could happen?
If you are in, DM me on twitter and let's take it from there.
Oh, while I am not sure of what all we could evolve into, I am very sure of things that we will NOT be. Here's a list.
- We are not a dating platform. You like someone in the group, great! But please do not come with the intention of dating. There are way too many other platforms for that.
- We are not an opportunity to paddle MLM goodies.
- This is NOT business networking. This is an opportunity to meet interesting people IRL.
That's for the time being.
Could I cover anything else?
One more thing. I call this Serendipitous Adventures in Mumbai. Game?