I plan to post my thoughts in a series of posts. And I am calling this series as Business of Books. So before I start getting into any serious discussion or prose, here are a few things that I would talk about over the next few weeks, months. If there is something specific that you want me to talk about, please do let me know.
No, I am not an expert. I am a mere curious observer standing on the sidelines of this amazing business.
- Print vs Electronic. The non-stop battle between printed and ebooks. Which is better. Why? What is the alternative?
- The monies. What do the publishers make, what do authors make? Who else makes money. Of course a lot of guesstimating will be involved.
- Marketing. Of course. I am after-all a marketeer by training. The jury is still out on my "expert" level though.
- Managing egos. Of other writers, publishers, retailers, distributors. Even readers have egos!
- The mafia. No no, not the
ItalianSicilian one. But the mafia in the books industry. Yes, there is. Trust me. I've had an encounter already. Thankfully it was not dirty.
- Support groups. I am lucky to have folks at Wrimo India as a huge support group. Without them, a lot of my work would have suffered. Why is important to have a group? What to do if you don't have one.
- First-time authors. This one is probably where I'd spend a lot of time. After all, I am an outsider and it took considerable time, effort, hustle and luck to get the book done. Publishing for me was surprisingly easy. More on this as we go along.
Oh, I just need to figure out how would onWriting.in co-exist with this. I don't have answers for the time being. Let's see when they dawn. In the meanwhile, hope you've ordered the book!
Originally published on tnks blog.